Panasonic packs 3D Blu-ray films with its 3D TVs

Content -- or lack thereof -- is one of the major concerns people have with adopting 3D in the home, so Panasonic's out to prove it's not an issue by bundling 3D Blu-ray movies with its television sets.

From now until July 10, Panasonic's Viera VT25 3D TV series will include mail-in vouchers for Coraline and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs in 3D. The films are available for free with television purchase, and neither will be available in 3D at retail until after the promotion is over, CNet reports. Details are at Panasonic's website.

Prices for Panasonic's 3D televisions range from $2,600 for a 50-inch set to $4,300 for a 65-inch set.

An NPD survey of 2,000 adults, conducted last December, found that content is a big sticking point for the adoption of 3D. Almost two thirds of respondents worried about the additional cost of 3D media, and 39 percent said were concerned with the limited amount of content available. The other major issue, voiced by 61 percent of respondents, was the higher cost of Blu-ray hardware.

The amount of 3D content is on the rise, with more recent films such as Clash of the Titans and How to Train Your Dragon in theaters now, and eventually destined for the home. Also, DirecTV is promising a few 3D channels soon, and Sony, IMAX and Discovery are developing their own channel. Sony is also working on 3D for Playstation 3 games.

Still, promotions like Panasonic's will do little to persuade people who are worried about costs. In addition to the premiums of 3D television and content, you'll also need a 3D Blu-ray player and glasses ($150 for each pair beyond the one that's included) to enjoy what Panasonic is offering. 3D will be a luxury item for a long time, but if you're going to make the investment, you might as well get a couple free movies.

No posts to display